Monday, October 5, 2009

Reflection on Mike McCarthy Speech

    

    Mike McCarthy speech was interesting. His speech was laid back and very casual, which, with what I could gather, was kind of like his personality. His speech showed me his point of view on life and how he interprets things. I believe he was interesting, because he had a different way of looking at things, than I did. But, I believe he some what had an extreme way of thinking about life and how people should be and act. During his speech, he talked about his passion for comic books and his reasons behind his ideas and stories. For instance, he said that he uses woman in his stories, to show how women can use their womanly powers to fight evil. I enjoyed the fact that he was different, because he kept my attention the whole time while he was speaking. He said many times throughout his speech that he loves the city of Memphis and Elvis Presley. He told us that he believed that pop culture was during the years of Elvis's life, and that pop culture has disappeared in America. He also showed some of the books that he had read, that were kind of like his guide lines in life. One of the books was called "Sexual Persona," which to him, gave him some truth about his thoughts and ideas of life. Some of the things he talked about I could sort of go along with and see where he was coming from, but some things I could not. One of the things I agreed with was that we need to find something different or unique about ourselves and embrace it, open it up. And for example something that I did not agree with was when he told us to drop out of school, to be able to live life and find out who we are. I believe that we do not have to go to the extreme of dropping out of school, to be able to find out who we are. Even though his views were very different from my own, I believe it was a good experience to see some one else's views. Also, the experience helped me to understand the reasons why he chose to write comics and his passion behind them.


 

Word Count 380

No comments:

Post a Comment