Monday, November 30, 2009

I Never Want to Pick Up Another Turkey Again

    I never want to pick up another frozen turkey ever again. I say this because I work at Schnucks as a cashier, and it is Thanksgiving week. This is my third year at Schnucks as well as third Thanksgiving there. This past weekend was not to bad as far as being busy. But last night which was Wednesday, was completely insane. I got to work at two o'clock and had to work until nine o'clock that night. I did not have a register to check on, because my boss scheduled more checkers than we had registers, just incase someone called in sick. Luckily, no one did, and therefore I ended up checking on other checker's registers while they took their lunch. Our store got a lot of complements from customers, because they were grateful that we had every lane open. The customers said the hardest part for them was trying to find a parking spot. I ran from register to register for most of my shift, which actually made the time go by faster. When there were no breaks to fill, I would help bag and "direct traffic" as my boss would say, which meant that I would tell customers that were ready to check out, which line was the shortest. I am glad that I kept pretty busy because it made the time go by fast, but by the time my shift had ended I was so exhausted. I am so thankful that I do not have to work on Thanksgiving, because I would probably loose my mind. Even though we always close at four o'clock on Thanksgiving, cashiers still have to stay late because even though we close at four does not mean the customers will be through shopping at four. I feel bad for all the cashiers that have to stay late on Thanksgiving, but I am really glad that I am not one of them. In my opinion I think stores should be closed on Thanksgiving. But, I guess company's want to try to make as much money as they can, therefore that will probably never happen. Anyways, at least we will have a few days to recover because, people will be eating leftovers for a few days and also the biggest shopping day of the year is the day right after Thanksgiving. I really hope that I do not have to pick up another turkey again or at least until next Thanksgiving.

Word count 407

No comments:

Post a Comment